enter your group/offer code here
How to Play Blackjack
Looking to try your luck at Leelanau Sands Casino? Blackjack is the perfect introduction to casino table games. Although it’s very simple, there is some strategy involved. Before you hit the gaming floor, familiarize yourself with the rules of blackjack.
If you have any questions, our friendly dealers are always ready and happy to help!
The Rules of Blackjack
When you approach the blackjack table, look for the minimum and maximum bet placard. To join the game, wait until the current game is over and approach the dealer, telling them you’d like to join.
In blackjack, the goal is to beat the dealer. Your objective is to get as close to 21 with your cards without going over. The player wins if the value of their hand is higher than the dealer’s without going bust. Going “bust” is when the value of your cards exceeds 21. The player can also win if the dealer busts and they do not.
Blackjack Card Values
- Cards 2 through 9 all count as face value
- Kings, queens, jacks, and 10s all equal 10
- Aces can be either 1 or 11. For example, if you’re dealt more cards after your fist hand and you go bust, that ace can now be considered a 1 to keep you in the game.
You will be dealt two cards, one face up and one face down. You can look at the face down card, but keep it that way until the end of the game. You will play your hand until you go bust or you stand. Once the players are done, the dealer will play their hand.
You have four options when you’re dealt your cards: you can 1) hit, 2) stand, 3) double down, or 4) split a pair. The terms explained:
- Hitting is when you request another card (“hit me”). When you hit, you run the risk of going bust, but you may also get a little closer to 21. To hit, lightly tap the table in front of you with your hand.
- Standing is when you’re happy with your cards and you don’t need any more. To tell the dealer you’re standing, wave your hand over your cards.
- If you have a great hand, doubling down is a great way to increase your winnings. To double down, put the same amount of chips behind your current bet.
- If your first two cards are a pair, you can “split” them and play two separate hands against the dealer. To tell the dealer you want to split a pair, place a bet equal to your first next to your first bet, outside the “batting box” or the circle around your chips. You can now play these two hands as you would any other hand.
After You Stand
When you’re finished playing your hands, the dealer will flip over their face down card and decide on how to play it. Whoever has the highest value without going over 21 wins.
Blackjack (having exactly 21) wins over everything, except if there is another blackjack or another tie. In that case, the game will be a “pass” and no one will win.
Winning bets pay out 1:1, but if you win with a perfect blackjack hand (21), the house pays at 1.5:1.
Leelanau County Blackjack
The blackjack tables at Leelanau Sands Casino are ready when you are! Make a weekend out of your visit and book a room by giving us a call at (800) 930-3008. During your stay, head on down to Big Dex’s for a quick bite before or after bets!